Nanotechnology allows modifying the structure of nanoobjects down to the atomic scale. Low dimensional quantum structures can be embedded in a nanowire system in order to modify its properties at will. Electronic and optoelectronic devices benefit from the new advances in growth methodologies, with a fine control of the elemental species locally deposited.
In the present work, we will present how an accurate knowledge on the atomic positions, down to single atom detection, may help to deeply understand the improved properties of our complex nanowire heterostructures. We will show how from scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM), it is possible to obtain precise 3D atomic models that can be used as input for the simulation of its physical properties. Finally, these theoretical properties will be cross-correlated to the experimental measurements obtained locally on our nanowire systems.
Some of the presented works will include: the effect of the isotope distribution on the phononic behavior of nanowires, the measurement of the internal electric fields in quantum structures and the influence of doping on the compensation of the polarization field, or the influence of polarity and the atomic arrangement on the photonic and electronic properties of single heterostructured nanowires.
1. J. Arbiol et al., Nanoscale 4, 7517 (2012).
2. M. Heiss, J. Arbiol et al., Nature Materials 12, 439 (2013).
3. J. Arbiol, et al., Materials Today 16, 213 (2013).
4. M. de la Mata, J. Arbiol, et al., Journal of Materials Chemistry C 1, 4300 (2013).
5. J. Müßener, J. Arbiol, et al., Nano Letters, 14, 5118 (2014).
6. F. Schuster, J. Arbiol, et al., ACS Nano, 8, 4376 (2014)
7. Gozde Tutuncuoglu, Jordi Arbiol, et al., Nanoscale, 7, 19453 (2015)
8. M. de la Mata, J. Arbiol, et al., Nano Letters, 16, 825 (2016)
To cite this abstract:Jordi Arbiol, Aziz Genç, Reza R. Zamani, María de la Mata; Insight on the fine structure of semiconductor nanowires down to single atom detection: correlation to their physical properties. The 16th European Microscopy Congress, Lyon, France. https://emc-proceedings.com/abstract/insight-on-the-fine-structure-of-semiconductor-nanowires-down-to-single-atom-detection-correlation-to-their-physical-properties/. Accessed: December 3, 2023
EMC Abstracts - https://emc-proceedings.com/abstract/insight-on-the-fine-structure-of-semiconductor-nanowires-down-to-single-atom-detection-correlation-to-their-physical-properties/