An understanding of solid-liquid interfaces at the atomic scale is significant for a variety of processes ranging from materials synthesis to material corrosion and energy conversion and storage. My group focuses on the study of precipitation and dissolution at solid-liquid interfaces primarily by developing and applying liquid cell transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Besides real time TEM imaging of colloidal nanocrystal growth in a liquid solution, we study precipitation/dissolution at electrode-electrolyte interfaces with an electrochemical liquid cell. The dynamic phenomena including dendritic growth, solid-electrolyte interface formation and phase transformation of the precipitates during charge cycles have been monitored in situ. With the assistance of theoretical calculation, depth understanding of the dynamic processes can be achieved.
- H. G. Liao, H. Zheng, “Liquid cell transmission electron microscopy.” Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 67, 719 (2016).
- W. Liang, X. Zhang, Y. Zan, M. Pan, C. Czarnik, K. Bustillo, J. Xu, Y. Chu, H. Zheng, “In situ study of Fe3Pt-Fe2O3 core-shell nanoparticle formation.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137, 14850 (2015).
- Z. Zeng, X. Zhang, K. Bustillo, K. Niu, C. Gammer, J. Xu, H. Zheng “In situ study of lithiation and delithiation of MoS2 nanosheets using electrochemical liquid cell TEM.” Nano Lett. 15, 5214 (2015).
- H. G. Liao, D. Zherebetskyy, H. Xin, C. Czarnik, P. Ercius, H. Elmlund, M. Pan, L. W. Wang, H. Zheng, “Facet development during platinum nanocube growth.” Science 345, 916 (2014).
- H. G. Liao, L. Cui, S. Whitelam, H. Zheng, “Real time imaging Pt3Fe nanorod growth in solution.” Science 336, 1011 (2012).
Acknowledgement: Zheng thanks DOE BSE MSE for funding supporting.
To cite this abstract:Haimei Zheng; Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy of Dynamic Phenomena at Solid-Liquid Interfaces. The 16th European Microscopy Congress, Lyon, France. https://emc-proceedings.com/abstract/liquid-cell-electron-microscopy-of-dynamic-phenomena-at-solid-liquid-interfaces/. Accessed: September 21, 2023
EMC Abstracts - https://emc-proceedings.com/abstract/liquid-cell-electron-microscopy-of-dynamic-phenomena-at-solid-liquid-interfaces/